Sunday, June 29, 2008

Change of Plans and Good News

I’m often told that my thoughts run in various directions (surely a sign of genius...) and this couldn’t be more true than in my approach to planning menus. My original menu vision is transformed as I consider my guests and their taste, the need for a balance between food groups, and, since I'm new at this, the reality check of how long it will take to pull it all together. Not only does the menu change, but since I enjoy taking creative risks, I tend to depart from ingredient lists and recipe instructions. It is for this reason that the links to recipes in this post should really serve as a guideline for technique. If you're interested in knowing what I did differently, just send me an e-mail and I'll give you the scoop along with what I did (or wished I didn't do) to tweak it.

Given the variety and quantity of vegetables and fruits that were delivered to me this week, I wanted to incorporate as many of them as possible in every dish. Here are a few of the notable creations: The collards, carrots, and celery became a hearty collard green and cannellini bean soup; the apples and bananas gave a welcome sweetness to healthy oat bran muffins; the oranges were used in a tangy citrus and tamarind marinade for baked chicken; the broccoli was steamed and dressed in olive oil, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese; and the zucchini, potatoes, and onion were used in a frittata that puffed up into a golden Sunday brunch treat.
.
This isn't the food plan that I originally had in mind, but the diversion makes sense because today’s plan took an unexpected turn as you'll soon read. Heading in a new direction is refreshing and inspiring, I say. Hey, who knows what direction this blog will go in? While I ponder this question, my husband is enjoying a second helping of the frittata.

As far as life changes go, our friends and to-be brunch guests, Andrew and Robin Halpern, experienced perhaps the biggest one of all last night, when they became first-time parents of a baby boy, slightly earlier than expected. Needless to say, they were unable to join us today. I can’t wait to meet their little guy, Noah Alexander, and if he’s anything like his dad, Robin really has her hands full!

Speaking of full, my fridge is full of leftovers, so just give a call if you want to swing by for dinner.

As a side note, this happens to be the third time that our plans with pregnant friends resulted in labor—so, if you’re looking to get that little one out, forget the long walks and third-trimester sex, and just set a date with us!

2 comments:

Ariela said...

Sami, I'm so looking forward to reading your blog on a regular basis. (and of course to come over soon to totally take advantage of your produce mamacita prowess!)

As you know my pops is a master chef, who rarely if ever uses recipes and often sprouts into new directions in his cooking, BUT he earned his rogue cooking cred, he says, from watching years of julia child and other 70's cooking shows...you can only break the rules once you've learned them, or so the old adage goes.

I skipped the learning faze and went straight to the experimental, but thankfully (for my eating companions) it stays within a safe roast vegetables/stir fry/sauteed something somehow way and has rarely come out a a disaster (and is actually Damn Good! I must have learnt something as I waltzed through my dad's kitchen of yore).But I've NEVER created such lovingly crafted creations as you've described here, and I'm looking forward to the inspiration!

Lindsey Pollak said...

Sounds like you are cooking up a storm! I'll have to come over for a lesson sometime soon.